Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Rants of a serious gamer

This is just plain crazy.

[Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told Reuters in an interview that Wii sales during the Thanksgiving holiday week came to about 800,000 units in the United States, more than double the 350,000 units it sold in the same period a year earlier.

"When the economy is strong, people tend to buy three things from the top of their wish list. But when things are bad, people often buy only the first thing on their list," Iwata said. "Fortunately for us a lot of shoppers put our products at the top of their list."] - Reuters UK.



When I read this is was like, WTF? The Wii is a nice little toy, but for it to become so popular is just about embarrassing to the hardcore gamer.

In short, the equation is:
big jump in Wii sales = [ (Casual gamers/Family gamers) > (Hardcore gamers) ]

I can almost see a family buying a Wii for Christmas....

10yr old boy: Daddy, I want this Xbox 360 for Christmas, okay?

Father: Alright son, I'll buy... (turns head around) ...hey look, a Wii! Finally in stock!

10yr old boy: But Daddy, I want a Xbox 360, not a stupid Wii... (Starts crying)

Father: Shut up! Lookit, family play! Woot! Dear, hand me my wallet!

About the same thing happened to me last year for my birthday, just that i DIDN'T cry, and i wanted a computer upgrade instead. Contrary to popular belief, Wii games aren't really that fantastic, its just that people who buy Wii games are disillusioned causals who mindlessly play them because "Oooh! I've shelled out my hard earned money for a Wii and a set of games so it must be good". I once spent money on a game called "You Are Empty". I tell you, anything else would have been money better spent.

Ok, there were a few great ones, like " Twilight Princess" and "Resident Evil 4". But many of the other games are really overrated. They're silly, like "Warioware". Then again, what can you expect from Japanese innovation?

Its a bit of a blow to more serious forms of video games, i'll give you that.

Have an opinion? Spit it out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment