Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The perfect L4D experience

I realized today that the local LAN shop has its rigs stocked with the new zombie survival shooter: Left 4 dead. Two hours in there with three other friends later, I step out, completely dazed by the awesomeness of the experience.

Two months ago I remembered wishing for Left 4 dead to be set up in that LAN shop. I predicted it would rival CS in terms of popularity over there. Presto, two months later, my wish came true. While I was there, everyone was playing it. A few other deviants were stubbornly sticking to their DOTA games, but the day was won by Left 4 Dead.

So then, I sit down and start the game. My friends on my flank are chattering like its -10 out. I can already here zombie blood being spilled by others around me. And then, the game (and the fun) starts. The next two hours were filled with pure win as we screamed at each other every 15secs and start breathing again every time we kill another tank or witch.

This kind of experience, you can never find online or with bots. Its frantic action out there, with your friends swearing at you after a friendly-fire incident or when YOU swear at them after they shoot you while you get jumped by a hunter. Communication is WAY easier, and you don't get maddeningly high ping.

Okay, we all got killed half a dozen times and there were a few TK incidents, but the whole thing was just SWEET. I can't explain it all in words, but do yourself a favor: Get three friends and go someplace where you can play Left 4 Dead over LAN. And let the fun begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment