Friday, December 5, 2008

A little something i'm working on...

All right, first comes the reality. Then the anxiety. Then the mugging. Next comes the Examination. The relief. The boredom. The shock-of-your-life/what-you've-expected.

There, I've summarized the o'levels examination process for the average Joe.

I'm currently in the "boredom" stage, and boy is it a shocker. I can't believe the hours of my life I'm wasting away. I gotta do something useful, be productive, serve the society, etc. etc.

After milling about it, i decided to get a job. I asked a few of my friends along, they were like, meh. Yes, I'm looking at you, Nigel. It didn't work out. It seemed their human resource manager took a serious disliking to me.

So, I'm now unemployed. Couldn't be bothered to get another job. More time to blow on Fallout 3 (Its a rpg game, by the way), i guess.

I have approximately a month and 3/4 of holiday left, maybe less. My brain is starting to rot from the 372nd time i blew a raider's head off in the Capital Wasteland. (VATS was addictive, I'll admit.)

So, i decided to write. Maybe it wouldn't occur to some of you to let your imagination flow in writing, but i gotta tell you, its pretty addictive. What were originally plans to write a short essay have turned into blueprints for a full blown novel.

I'll let you guys in a bit on the plot: Its set a decade down the road, when the world situation is at a critical turning point. The background is actually about the conflict between nations, but in my story I'm focusing totally on the conflict between China and the USA. It doesn't last very long though; I blew both countries up with tactical nukes from the other side by chapter 2. Not much more to write about, eh? But wait! What about the lives of the people who survive the holocaust? The bulk of my story will involve the adventures of people as they try to survive in post-apocalyptic USA.

My story will be from the perspective of 2 or more people, depending on where the story takes me. Currently I've settled for two:

One of them is a disgruntled US air force officer and his exploits after the war.

The other is a wayward teenage girl spending her summer vacation (like us) when the bombs changed her life forever.

I'm thinking of a third character to spice up the mix, maybe some Chinese bloke who witnessed the American ICBMs fall on his country? Share your thoughts, please. I'd like a second opinion.

I was inspired to write this when i saw this amazing flash movie on newgrounds. Respect to whoever created it.

Here's a link (part 1 only, further parts are easily found) :
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/466240

I also found inspiration from many cold war themed books, like Tom Clancy's. Of course, how could i forget, Fallout 3. =)

This story ought to get more interesting as the plot thickens, so check back for future updates. Also, if any publishers are reading this, watch out for my latest!

No comments:

Post a Comment