Saturday, April 4, 2009

No more Toradora? OH SHI...

Hold on, before I go any further...

(*insert rant on why school is causing blog not to be updated frequently + several lame excuses*)

...Now then, on to the real content.

Toradora has given my previously mundane Thursdays a new meaning, ever since I started on it around 4 months ago. It was the show that kept me refreshing YouTube on my browser every 30 seconds up to 4am in the morning. It was the show that gave me new insight as to how people really work, how they aren't transparent all the time. It was THE show. I never regretted watching anime by starting off with this epic series.

Sad to say, all good things always come to an end, and Toradora concluded with it's final Episode 25 a week ago. Now I would have loved to blog about it the split-second I finished it, but (*insert rant on why school is causing blog not to be updated frequently + several lame excuses*) so, yeah.

I'm no anime veteran, nor will I pretend to be one, so I won't be giving a full-fledged review on Toradora. Instead, let me personify my opinion about this series as a whole with just one word: 'Magical'. It wasn't the animation, nor the sound track, no, not even the storyline. What was magical was a mixture of the three, blended in with many, many well-connected symbolisms to create an experience I won't be forgetting anytime soon.

Kiss scene of the year

Thank you, JCstaff, you've made a happy camper's Thursdays a tad more tolerable, even if it was only for 4 months.

That said, I earnestly hope for a season 2, or at the very least, an OVA. The thought of a season 2 was initially out of the question since any continuation would be original, and lets just say JCstaff aren't the best when it comes to original productions. But there's an emptiness inside me which came after finishing EP25, and it can only be remedied by more Toradora, as much as it won't happen. Or, I could just mop about for another month or so until this emptiness goes away, but the former would be SO much more welcome.

So now the empty time slot for anime on my Thursdays has been given to "K-ON!", a spanking new series by Kyoani, the good people who also produced "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya". This anime is about four girls who come together to revive their school's light music (keiongaku) club, which is in the process of being disbanded. So far the first episode seems pretty much in order. The animation was great, sounds were nice, character designs are adorable and I think I'm addicted to the OP. My biggest worry would be the character development, or lack thereof. I was hoping for more depth in the characters, not glass panel people. This could be the after effects of watching Toradora, but I'm uncomfortable with shallow characters and K-ON! is showing signs. Oh well, it's the first episode, I'll see where it goes.


Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment